After a while, I've decided to start this army diary, to keep a record of my progress and help me a bit with the motivation issue.
The plan is to have my current collection of Dirz minis painted (it isn't much big, in fact). Once accomplished that objective, maybe I will expand the army or get a new one, who knows? The miniatures will be painted each individually, but the previous and boring stages will be done for the whole batch.
STAGE 1 - Stripping paint
All of my Dirz minis are second-hand bought, and come in various states. Some were new in box, but for the most part they came partially painted or primed in black. So, I put them on a jar with paint solvent and let there just for half an hour or a bit less. Then, I brush them with an old toothbrush, hot water and soap.
Stage 1 is already finished, now I'll move to stage 2: Assembly and cleaning !
After the bath in paint solvent and previous to assembly, I rub the miniatures with this "hard fiber sponge" (I totally made that up, it's just that I don't know the actual name of the thing).
I do this to take the paint off the recesses and get a cleaner figure. It doesn't damage the miniature or its details.
Then I glued all of the bits with Army Painter super glue. Two handed weapons are an exception and will be glued once the main body of their miniature is painted. I have two Dawn Guards with their swords already glued, but that is because I pinned them some time ago. To clean mould lines I use a round modelling file.
Once finished stage 2 this is how it all looks like
I've already started with stage 3 (basing). Holes in the bases have been covered with green stuff. I could've used other putty, but as I have like 1 metre of gs I don't mind it much. I'm looking for a basing style similar to that the Rackham studio used in the Dirz minis, so I will use beach sand (painted, of course) and some bits of cork that will look as stone.
This diary format is really cool, and it'll be exciting to see the progress! Good luck with the Dirz, it looks promising!
Thank you, I hope it entertains you all and also helps me keep going with the project.
Well, stage 3 (basing) has already been accomplished. All the bases are covered in sand, and when the glue dries I will give the bases a hand of diluted pva glue to seal the sand.
Next stage, priming. I use white gesso with a bit of black to get a grey primer that I apply with a brush, trying to get thin layers. I used to prime with Vallejo black primer on airbrush, but the current method is a lot more comfortable.
To give you all an approximate idea of my painting level, here are my most recent paintjobs:
I've procrastinated a bit on this project. Yesterday I began with a humble clone. At first I thought of doing the metals using metallic Vallejo paints, but they are too bright for my tastes. So I've eventually decided to give nmm a try (a bit pretentious considering the results). I thought that it would end worse, but I quite like it, looks well for a "tabletop level". WIP pictures, there's still work to do with skin, cloth and details.