Here are the 14 models, bundled in bags to keep the parts together for each model, while I filed the mold lines.
Corpuscle inspired me to attempt to build bases like his. I tried using rocks and bark to lend realistic textures to the plaster-of-Paris casts.
The bark works better than the stone. The stones sink to the bottom of the container, so only the top side is usable, whereas the bark floats on the bottom layer of plaster, and it gives you two impressions, one on the bottom and one on top.
I have a lot of variety to play with, but I still like Corpuscle's results better!
In case anyone ever questions the value of washing miniatures prior to painting them, here is a comparison. The top miniatures have been washed, and the bottom miniature hasn't been washed. The top ones are nice and shiny, and the bottom one is dull. You wouldn't think being dull is a big deal, until you consider that it's release agent that makes the surface dull (as far as I know). All that release agent counteracts the purpose of the primer, making the paint-job more prone to chipping.
All filed, pinned, and washed. I probably have about 8 hours put into the project so far, and it's still a long way off before I can actually enjoy painting the figures!
Not the most interesting photo, but it's a record of the grind that is required to prepare 14 complex, metal miniatures, just to get them to the painting table.
I used epoxy glue for the simpler attachments of heads, bodies, rocks, bases, and metal under-plates. I have a long distrust of cyanoacrylate glue, but using epoxy for the arms would have taken forever. I didn't pin the arms either -- just super-glued them, so I'm taking a bit of a risk there. And, finally, gap-filling and texturing with Milliput.
I used to spurn this part of the process, but over time I've come to gain some satisfaction from assembling models. There's a sense of progress and completion to bring the model to its final form and to feel the weight and see the pose bring life to the figure. Seeing all of these guys in complete 3-dimensional form motivates me to proceed to the next phase of the project.
I realized today that the second-hand, black-primed orc is modeled off of one of Paul Bonner's illustrations. So that orc is coming out of the current project. Hopefully, he will be destined for a Paul Bonner diorama, if I happen to own the second, fellow orc that is featured in Bonner's illustration.
Dude, of course! It's a support thread for Corpuscle, so jump right into it!
@ shades: I just can repeat myself, this is a really impressive force you're going to build! And thank you for the detailed report on the process.
@ gohkm: It seems like Sophet on his throne gives his applause/thumbs up to Corpuscle's Behemoth. Nice work, i have this monster still waiting.
I didn't get that much done, with the end of the first semester and the reports to write there is a lot to do, and the baby can come any day by now, but there was some progress. I'll post some pictures during the weekend.